A500.4.3.RB_ManglonaMatthew-Napu
The assumptions and presentation that I learned from Dr.
Iyengar’s video opened my mind more about how making choices, whether it be
right or wrong directly impacts a person’s life. The video allowed me to better understand the
relevance to my choices while growing up and the choices as an a adult. Dr.
Iyengar described how Americans live with the freedom of choice, as evident
when “we make our own choices”. Essentially, we are who we are individually
because we get to choose what we want to do. For example, kids are often asked “What
do you want to be when you grow up?” Most boys respond that they want to be a
fireman or policeman, and girls typically want to be nurses or teachers. Of
course through the years, these answers change as the children grow up and
become interested in other things such as science or liberal arts. Another
example about choice is the fact that we get to choose who we want to marry. In
some countries and cultures, arranged marriages are still tradition. For most,
the choices we make shape us into the motivated, hardworking, and focused
citizens that makes the country what it is today.
However I would like to share that on we are a small island
community, and when it comes to race and ethnicity we primarily host immigrants
from the countries such as the Federated States of Micronesia, Korea,
Philippines, and China. We are sensitive to the fact that freedom of choices is
not as rampant with some of these countries due to cultural beliefs. For example,
in some Filipino families, the young females are forced by their families to
study nursing or some thing related in the medical field because of the
potential earnings that can be made. In a poverty stricken country such as the
Philippines, the necessity to send someone abroad to obtain an education is
vital to the survival of other family members not as fortunate to leave the
Philippines. I can recall some of my friends who were forced to do what their
parents wanted because of situations such as the one described and also because
of their family’s beliefs and values.
Her second assumption on “more options, lead to better
choices” I can relate to. In my opinion, the more options one has, the better
the decision as to what is best for the individual. For example, when I was in
the ROTC program with the University of Guam, I was given the option to join either
active duty Army or the Guam Army National Guard. Although the decision was
tough to make, I chose to join the Guam Army National Guard, which as has been
very beneficial to me. For one, I am able to do what I love, on island I love. Another
example of the benefits for me personally, would be the training I receive that
the vast number of opportunities provided for me to excel in what I do. Such
as, in my current job, it is not typical for a person of my rank to present
senior leadership with various courses of action due to the nature of my job
and the experience needed to resolve difficult situations. However, the courses
of actions I present to my leadership, provides various outcomes where they
choose the best option for the benefit of the mission.
There was one part of the video that found very interesting.
In the video, she described the study she conducted with nail polish and the
women that were tricked with the colors and naming convention of the
polishes. The color of the polish was
the same but the names were different such as Ballet Slippers and Admirable for
example. The women were technically making the choice of nail polish based on
the name.
Somewhat similar to when Americans choose cars. There are
many options for name brand, make, models, color, etc. However, when I think
about this scenario, a car is a car, right? The car is a mode of transportation
that essentially gets someone from point A to point B. Going back to the nail
polish, they both looked the same, and they do the same thing. What I am trying
to get at is, “Is it really a better choice when you choose between two or more
things that give you the same end result?”
Dr. Iyengar’s third assumption of “Never say no to choice”
is a no brainer. Every American must make choices every day. If we really stop
and think about it, “How do we function if we say no to our choice or choices?”
“How does one go about his or her day if they haven’t decided on a choice to
move around or to do something?” The answer I think is like those from other
countries, whose families or cultural values have chosen the future of
children, as explained in the Filipino family reference above. Choice is what
dictates our very own livelihoods. For example, there are people who choose to work
extremely hard and do the best they can in whatever they do, and then there are
those who choose to just sit around all day and get nothing accomplished. The
outcome of choices that one makes will have to be accepted by that individual.
A person cannot blame another person for the choice they made in life that
would be an excuse. Another example of choice is with our emotions. When I have
a bad day, I choose to be mad or I can overcome it and choose to be happy. I
never say no and my choices dictate what I think (at that present time) is what
is best for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment