Saturday, 29 August 2015

A500.3.4.RB - Explore the Hunt Library


A500.3.4.RB_Manglona,Matthew-Napu

As I ventured through the Hunt library I was amazed with the vast amount of information available for me to use as reference material such as journal articles, magazine articles, and the books/e-books. As I reflect back to the days when I was obtaining my Bachelor of Science Degree from the University of Guam, I remember having to go to the library to do research. The University of Guam did not have an on-line library back then, but if there was one, it would have made research easier.

This source will definitely be beneficial to me as a resource. For example, searching for an article on leadership for the assignment given to us for this module was very easy. The search feature was easy to use and the articles listed as references were exactly what I was looking for. I look forward to using the Hunt library for future assignments.

Resources are scholarly in nature because it provides access to academic pursuits of knowledge. When I research for something I have to think to myself, “What makes this article reliable?” “Does the author or writer have enough evidence to support his/her claim? It is well known know that Wiki-Pedia is not a good resource because it does not provide factual information and is not a reliable source.  Therefore, when I do research, I always think about the source at hand and if the reference material is an appropriate news/ journal article, book, or video.

It is known that the information available on the internet may not always be accurate therefore it takes a little more time to find legitimate and authentic articles to use as a source. The Hunt library provides me with precisely what I am looking for and I am not as reluctant to open the files to read.  For example, I researched Military Leadership articles for our assignment and there were an estimated 25 plus of journals or articles to choose from. I selected a few to read over and found some articles that contained citing’s, therefore I felt a sense of relief knowing the articles contained valid information.

The Hunt Library could represent a system of thinking compared to the body of information. The library produces a system of thinking by giving us a wide variety of choosing for information. Whereas articles or research from a search engine gives us the representation of a body of information. I rarely see the information located in search engines being put out and recognizing other author’s inputs compared to the library. I have found that the library articles I have read often reflect off other articles and compliment other references in the research process. Although I enjoy the ease in using search engines such as Google, the information from Google is not as meaningful or helpful as the information as using the on-line library and not as convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment