Sunday, 20 September 2015


A500.6.3.RB_Manglona, Matthew-Napu- Qualitative Research

 Qualitative research, broadly defined, means "any kind of research that produces findings not arrived at by means of statistical procedures or other means of quantification" (Strauss and Corbin, 1990, p. 17). To grasp the understanding of it, I had to thoroughly read through the sections and now understand the difference between qualitative versus quantitative research. Now that I have a better understanding between the two, I realize that a few of the resources I used for my project were more quantitative than qualitative. Quantitative researchers seek causal determination, prediction, and generalization of findings, qualitative researchers seek instead illumination, understanding, and extrapolation to similar situations (Hoepfl, 1997). It also makes reference that indicates qualitative and quantitative may go hand in hand, which I noticed in the resources I used during my research. I can recall that during my undergraduate studies I would use any kind of resource that would sufficed just get by and do what needs to be done. Learning the difference between the two was a real eye opener as it broadened the horizon for me on future assignments requiring research.

One feature of qualitative research I consider related to action research is when the researcher uses “the natural setting” and acts as the “human instrument” for data collection. I find that qualitative research provides more defined information, which I prefer to use because it is straight to the point and reliable. I currently do not use qualitative research as a typical research method, however I know that it will be a great method to use.

I appreciate how qualitative research consists of observations, interviews, and data collection, which leans more towards scientific approach. I find that it is easier for me to interpret qualitative information and make direct correlation to the topic at hand. After reading that the use of documents such as official records, articles, and letters for example, are invaluable to qualitative research it made me wonder if it was similar to action research. I believe that using  data derived from qualitative reports will allow me to produce better reports and products such as briefs for my superiors at work.

Qualitative research is a relatively new concept for me and I know that with continued use and application will benefit me during my course studies and professional life. I expect to use it in the very near future such as when preparing my Annotated Bibliography, which I foresee using more of the qualitative rather than the quantitative method.

No comments:

Post a Comment