A500.5.3.RB_Manglona, Matthew-Napu Critical Thinking
about Critical Thinking
When I first started the course I had a brief idea of
what organizational leadership as explained by my mentor and examples he gave. However
I did not know the magnitude of critical thinking. I didn’t realize that thinking
outside the box was an example or an element of critical thinking. At times, I
found it difficult to understand why my boss treated me or reacted towards
things that I did or the decisions I made for the staff. After the material I
have learned in this class, I realize that I have made improvements and have
grown in both my personal and professional life. Now when I am given a task at
work I always ask the questions based off the “elements of reasoning” I learned
in Chapter 2 of our book. Asking about my tasks’ purpose, question at issue,
purpose, assumptions, implications and consequences to name a few (Nosich,
2012). I have noticed a significant improvement in my ability to accomplish my
tasks using what have learned from this class and applying them to my work. Before
this course, the products and briefs I prepared for my boss was returned to me
to make corrections, but the errors have minimalized and my boss is now
praising my work. In my spare time, I train and coach at a local crossfit gym,
and I have also applied the tools that I have learned to my coaching methods
which as benefited the athletes.
In my everyday life, I have been able to use the tools
learned. I have been able to internalize the techniques and concepts that I
learned because it is in my nature of work and the position I hold that requires
me to think critically. I think my
subordinates think I am more aggressive in the workplace now and my superiors
really notice and appreciate my new way of thinking. I don’t just settle for
ordinary anymore, I actually question everything I do now, “Why?, How?, and
What is the purpose? Etc…” I have been
able to implement the “Going around the circle” concept into my work and
briefs. I have bosses to answer too and always want to ensure I have covered
all aspects of the circle and their own personal logic. It is a tool that my
peers do not have yet but I mentor them and give them as much advice as I can
to set them up for success.
Although I am still learning my craft and discipline I
believe it will take constant practice to become truly successful. Bruce Lee
said “I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the
man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times”. With that analogy I believe that
is what it will take for me to have a positive change in my thinking. I
honestly believe that the process of officer promotion in the military and the
challenges I face in my career will have a lasting impact and change my way of
thinking. I know that as I promote in the military, the tolerance for mistakes
grows lower and lower, however thorough analysis and thinking will help me succeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment