Friday, 14 August 2015

A5001.5.RB_MANGLONA,MATTHEW-NAPU Intellectual Perseverance

A5001.5.RB_MANGLONA,MATTHEW-NAPU


Intellectual Perseverance referenced at  http://www.criticalthinking.org is defined as “Having a consciousness of the need to use intellectual insights and truths in spite of difficulties, obstacles, and frustrations; firm adherence to rational principles despite the irrational opposition of others; a sense of the need to struggle with confusion and unsettled questions over an extended period of time to achieve deeper understanding or insight”. I  relish this definition as it  relates  to resiliency and being able to overcome road blocks that may be presented in front of an individual.

This practice will be key to my performance in obtaining my Master’s degree. At times, there will be hardship and difficulties,  but I am  ready and committed to  adapt, overcome, and be successful. From experience I know I need to continue to work hard and remind myself about this  definition to become a successful leader, not only in my career, but a successful student as well.  I have made decisions on  many obstacles in life and I have struggled with confusion on  my decision making process.

One example was making a hard decision that I knew was right, versus making an wrong decision because it was an easy fix involving a on a service member that required “firm adherence to rational principles despite the opposition of others”. In this decision making process, I had to discharge a soldier because he consistently failed  to meet  the Army’s physical standards. This individual was a good person, however he was not a good soldier, which unfortunately led to his discharge.  This particular decision resulted in a mixture of emotions because I was viewed differently between my peers and some superiors.  Some were disappointed in me because they knew the this individual personally, and some were impressed because I took and hard line and stood my ground.

. During this time period, a lot ran through my mind, such as “ If I keep this soldier, what is the message I’ll be sending to those who were once in his position but were let go?” or “ If I let him go, what will  my friends and bosses who admire him going to think of me?” I was stuck in a dark cloud for a couple of months because I thought my unit hated me. However as time passed, I was content with my decision because I realized  that I made the right decision to  follow regulations.  

                As a leader in my organization, I would embrace the chance to  teach these fundamentals to other leaders who work under, aside, and above me. This will spread a great practice in our organization because this form of art is all but lost or practiced by very few. Based on my experience, I have seen individuals go through difficult times instead of intellectual perseverance, they simply give up.  Once they give up it is like a virus for those they work with, which  spreads before there is a chance for  resilient person to come in and save them from the road blocks they have created  on tasks that need to be completed.  

 I know in our discussions on fallacies intellectual perseverance will play a key role. For the example I used in the discussion of “Appeal to Consequence”, I would have to intellectually persevere and make the right decision with the facts  presented to me despite my close relationship with the individual. However I will have to sit and ponder to make the right decision even though there may be confusion, obstacles, and frustrations I may  experience. At the end of the day it will allow me to gather better insight and embrace the fact that I am wrong and the facts are right.

The critical thinking portion of our discussion board can go hand in hand with Intellectual Perseverance or at least be used as a sub tool. I would use it by thinking outside the lines of a solution realizing there will be difficulties and confusion but all to reach the end result of a deeper understanding. In comparison to Robert Ennis’s definition of “Critical Thinking is reasonable, reflective thinking that is focused on deciding what to believe or do”. (Nosich, 2012). The key phrase is deciding what to believe or do. Going back to my previous example above with the soldier failing his PT test I literally had to think critically of making the right decision because doing the right thing is what I believe in and what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment