Sunday, 23 August 2015

A500.2.3.RB_MANGLONA,MATTHEW-NAPU Tell your story

A500.2.3.RB_MANGLONA,MATTHEW-NAPU


There are a few standards that I hold dear to my heart. I would like to talk about the critical thinking standard of consistency. Throughout my life, I have learned to think logically, and to continue to challenge myself mentally and physically, no matter how big or small the circumstance is. I consider these values as a standard in everything I do, and I attribute them to the teachings of my father, who is one of the most hardest working men that I know.

When I commit to something, I am determined to see it through to the end. I have learned to believe in everything I do and carry a positive attitude while doing it. I am always consistent in my belief of doing well. I believe everything happens for a reason, and there is something good in every situation. For example as an officer in the Army, my personal goal is to consistently exceed the standards of the physical fitness standards. I set this goal not only as a self-motivator, but also to motivate the soldiers in my platoon. There are other factors that motivate me and I often ask myself “Will scoring low on my PT Test result in delay in promotions?” or “If my soldiers see me fail or score low then that means it will be okay to emulate and do the same”.  Then my thoughts turn into things such as, “I have set a standard for them, they should follow” or “I will be able to be Number 1 on the board for selection to the next grade (Promotion)”.

Self-improvement is a continuous challenge, but that is what motivates me. Challenge allows me to excel. Standards will change throughout the years, but we also mature as time goes by. I take the lessons learned from the past experiences and challenge myself by setting a higher bar of expectations for myself. This is a consistent application on everything I do. Whether it be school work, work at the office, or my physical fitness, consistency always goes a long way with me.

A non-critical thinking standard that I hold will be opportunistic. I acquired this standard from my mentor in the Army. He always told me when an opportunity is presented in front of me to always take advantage and seize that opportunity. For example, I was offered to go to “Air Assault” school with only one-week notice. The two-week school is rigorous both physically and mentally demanding. But I knew that completion of this training will benefit me both personally and professionally. I can see claim vs. fact in my statement. I see a claim that the course would be physically and mentally demanding but I know it’s a fact that it will be beneficial for me. I say a claim because it depends on the individual going to the school, as it may be difficult for some and easy for others. And I state that it is beneficial for me because completing the school will give me necessary points for promotion.

I can also see a couple of elements of reasoning in my thought process. I already knew the purpose of going (as a leader it is expected of me to go) and I jumped at the opportunity presented to me knowing that it would be hard work but a good pay-off.  Unlike others individuals who make excuses such as “No, I am not ready”, or “One-week is not enough reaction time for me to leave”.

When the opportunity presented itself, I began to think about the “what-ifs”. For example, what if I go and do not pass, what if I pass this opportunity down and it does not come again because it was given to one of my colleagues, what if this class is what sets me apart from the next guy at promotion time, and lastly, what if budget cuts prevent me from ever going. This is the critical thinking in my though process.

No comments:

Post a Comment